Or lack thereof? 71% of UK adults do not get their recommended 7-9 hours of sleep every night (Direct Line Group, Feb 2022). Consistently poor sleep has been linked to conditions such as dementia, diabetes and cardiac issues. Therefore sleep hygiene and maintaining a healthy sleep routine is something we can all benefit from, and plays an important part in our overall wellbeing.
With the UK heat at its peak, and our all-weather equipment tending to consist mainly of brollies and heat-tec jackets, the sleep struggle is real.
We've put together 5 simple tips to help you get a better night's sleep:
1. Take a warm shower - a common misconception is to take a cold shower during peak temperatures. The cold makes your body temperature rise to bring it back to equilibrium, which means you will actually feel hotter when you step out of the cold water.
2. Drink a hot drink - similar to the warm shower, a hot drink encourages your body to sweat to cool down. Make sure you are drinking enough water during the day too, hydration is key.
3. Have a Sleep Deep - linking to the above, a hot drink does wonders. However Sleep Deep itself has been carefully formulated as a natural and non-addictive way to tackle poor sleep, using only the finest ingredients. Did you know the founder spent over a year formulating this blend to help with her own sleep issues?
4. Brain Dump - jotting down any worries, concerns or even just your 'to-do' list is incredibly clearing and allows your brain to slow down and rest.
5. Create a tech-free zone - try to avoid screen time at least an hour before bed as screens stimulate the brain. Unwind with a book instead!
Bonus Tip - Listen to a sleepy pod... here's one of our favourites: https://getsleepy.com/