Did you know that our founder, Urvashi, developed the Sleep Deep CBD infusion, our best-selling wellbeing CBD blend, to help with her own sleep issues?
Cannabidiol - also known as CBD - is one of the main cannabinoids in the cannabis plant. Cannabinoids interact with your (long word alert) endocannabinoid system, which helps your body maintain a state of balance and stability.
In the last decade, growing public interest in the benefits of CBD has encouraged researchers to study its effects, and although research is still ongoing, early studies indicate that CBD may support sleep! Perfect.
One investigation found that, compared with a placebo, CBD dosages of 40, 80 and 160 mg both helped the participants fall asleep and increased their sleep duration (our Sleep Deep CBD infusion contains 15 mg of the finest, full-spectrum water soluble CBD per pyramid bag). In another study on the effects of CBD for sleep, researchers found that cortisol levels decreased more significantly when participants took CBD oil; cortisol is a hormone mainly associated with stress, but has a powerful influence on sleep and waking in the human body. (Healthline, 2020)
In a more recent analysis of CBD and sleep, researchers recruited participants with anxiety or poor sleep conditions, such as insomnia. They found that 25 mg of CBD (combined with other prescribed medications) was the most effective dosage for those whose sleep was affected by anxiety. That’s equivalent to about two cups of our Sleep Deep CBD infusion! Over the course of the study, between 56.1% and 66.7% of the participants reported an improvement in their sleep, thanks to CBD. (Medical News Today, 2020)
A good night’s sleep is essential to your overall health and wellbeing. So why not pour yourself a cup of our Sleep Deep CBD infusion, about an hour before bed, and feel the effects for yourself? Or, have a read below of some of our tips for a better nights sleep (our last blog post, ‘Beating the heat with 5 simple sleep tips’, has even more tips!):
Our tips to Sleep Deep:
- Winding down with a bedtime routine - Having a routine before you sleep really helps to ground you, and relax your body and mind before bed. If you’re not sure, Urvashi’s sleep routine is a great place to start: candles, bath salts, skincare, a cup of our Sleep Deep CBD infusion and a book! Our Sleep Deep brew is one of our wellbeing CBD blends which, combined with soothing chamomile, rose, lavender, rosehip and lemon, makes for the perfect bedtime drink to help you drift off to sleep. One of our customers even said: “That Sleep Deep brew is wonderful, and has rid me of the insomnia I’ve had since the first lockdown!” - MP
- No screens! - We know you’ve heard it before, but trust us - reducing your screen time before bed is one of the most effective ways to help you sleep. Alternatively, if you need to check your phone, try adjusting your phone settings to ‘Night Shift’ - this removes blue light (which interferes with your natural sleep cycle) from your screen. (Sleep Foundation, 2022)
- Journaling - Also called a brain dump, this is a really great way to clear your mind before you sleep. Whether its practicing gratitude, writing a to-do list or jotting down any concerns or worries you might have, journaling lets your mind relax, preparing you for a good night’s sleep.
- Listen to a podcast or a sleep story - Nothing like one of these to help you fall asleep! Listening to a relaxing podcast or sleep story, or even the sound of the rain, gives your brain something calming to focus on - this can help you fall asleep more easily.
- Breathe - It sounds simple, but always remember to breathe deeply and evenly. Try the 4-7-8 breathing method before you sleep - breathe in for four seconds, hold for seven, and breathe out for eight. This breathing pattern aims to reduce anxiety, or help you fall asleep. (Medical News Today, 2019)
We hope our tips and tricks help you to Sleep Deep!
Some helpful resources if you’d like to read more about CBD and sleep:
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324417#:~:text=The 4-7-8 breathing,to sleep in 1 minute.