Looking for a festive cake recipe in time for Christmas? You have come to the right place. This Nana's Chai inspired cake makes for a quick and easy tea time treat or post-Christmas dinner dessert. If you love ginger, you will love this.
- 180ml oat milk
- 2 Nana's Chai pyramids
- 180g all-purpose flour
- 100g ground flaxseeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 110g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g castor sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 50g greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Nana's Chai pyramid
- 50ml hot water
- 50g cream cheese softened
- 70g butter softened
- 200g icing sugar
- 3 tsp ground ginger
In a small saucepan, heat the oat milk gently over low heat until steaming, being careful not to bring to a boil. Add the Nana'c Chai pyramids and steep for 20 minutes. Allow to cool.
Preheat the oven to 350ºF (177ºC). Grease an 8" or 9" round cake pan and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ground flaxseeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ginger. Set aside.
In a medium size bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, and then the yogurt, vanilla extract, and cooled milk and whisk again until smooth.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet, ensuring not to overtax the batter.
Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from the cake tin. Transfer to a wire rack for frosting.
- For the frosting, brew the Nana's Chai pyramid in 50ml of hot water, for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- In the meantime beat together the cream cheese, butter and icing sugar in a small bowl. Slowly mix in the ground ginger.
- Once cooled, add the Nana's Chai a tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Evenly spread the frosting over the cake, slice and enjoy with a cup of Nana's Chai!